AZOFRAS is the representative of Costa Rican Free Trade Zone (FTZ) companies in the protection, defense and development of their business activity before Government authorities and other private sector organizations.
Since the beginning, it has constantly sought to improve the competitive conditions of FTZ companies and works to find out solutions to the obstacles they face in operations, legal and fiscal issues, among others.
To represent comprehensively interests and rights of FTZ companies, fostering synergies to strengthen competitiveness.
We are the recognized and legitimated organization that proactively defends the rights, interests, and expectations of companies under the Free Trade Zone Regime in Costa Rica, and promotes their competitiveness.
|Respect and honesty||Innovation and creativity||Consequence|
- Strengthen the relationship with AZOFRAS’ members by promoting a better understanding of their needs and expectations.
- Generate all institutional relations required to position AZOFRAS as the consultation reference in FTZ matters before other institutions.
- Assume a leading role in the development of the FTZ regime in Costa Rica and its promotion as an international competitiveness tool for the country.
- Implement an outreach program regarding the benefits of the FTZ regime, in order to foster awareness about the importance of the regime in
the CostaRica’s socioeconomic context.
- Influence decision-making processes affecting the FTZ regime, through periodic meetings and ongoing communication with competent authorities (e.g. DGA, PROCOMER, MH, COMEX, etc.).
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of procedures and operational logistics of our members.
- Organize value-added events and highlight the importance of being part of AZOFRAS.
- Promote actions to foster productive linkages between FTZ companies and national suppliers.
- Increase the number of members.
Our Committees and Working Groups:
AZOFRAS has the following commissions and working groups, made up of representatives of our member companies.
- Operations and Customs Compliance Committee: It is responsible for monitoring and analyzing the operational and customs-related procedures of the FTZ Regime, in order to recommend to the AZOFRAS’ Board of Directors the adoption of certain criteria or positions to submit them to the Public Administration, and thus ensure a favorable business climate for investors.
- Legal and Fiscal Committee: It is in charge of monitoring and analyzing the FTZ Regime-related regulations, current or proposed, in order to recommend to the AZOFRAS’ Board of Directors the adoption of certain criteria or positions to submit them before the competent authorities, and thus ensure optimal conditions for the investment.
- Human Talent Management Committee: It is responsible for monitoring and analyzing the current or proposed regulations related to global trends in human talent management.
- SEL Companies Working Group: It is focused on monitoring, analyzing and proposing the regulatory and operative framework for the FTZ companies of logistic services.
- Life Sciences and Advanced Manufacturing Working Group: It is responsible for monitoring and analyzing the investment climate condition in which both sectors are developed to find opportunities for improvement and solve problems they face.
Value AddedServices Working Group: It is focused on identifying opportunities to improve the investment climate in which this sector operates.
- Parks Developers Working Group: It is responsible for monitoring and analyzing all issues associated with infrastructure and public works, sustainability, energy, among others.
- Companies Outside GAM Working Group: It is focused on issues related to investment climate conditions in regions outside the Greater Metropolitan Area, as well as the needs faced by companies established in these locations.
Our Board of Directors
|Chair||Carlos Wong||Coyol Free Zone
|First Vice-Chair||Ronald Lachner||BLP Legal|
|Second Vice-Chair||Timothy Scott||Intel Costa Rica|
|Secretary||Irene Chinchilla||CF Free Zone Park|
|Treasurer||Iván Lizano||Zona Franca Metropolitana|
|Director||Moisés Hernández||Proquinal Costa Rica|
|Director||Roy Rojas||Bridgestone de Costa Rica
|Director||Silvio Segnini||Segnini Exportaciones S.A. (SEGEX)|
|Director||José Roberto Víquez||America Free Zone|
|Director||Fernando Calderón||Procter & Gamble (P&G)|
|Director||Rafael Sayagués||Ernst & Young (EY)|
|Director||Frederick Jiménez||Allergan Costa Rica|
|Director||Gerardo Coto||Edwards Lifesciences|
|Controller||Eugenio Gordienko||L3 Comunicaciones Costa Rica|
- Executive Director: Eugenio Quirós Benambourg
- Executive Assistant: Doris Barrientos
- Projects: Kiara Esquive